Hello.

It is all about being written, but may you find something to interest you, anyway.
Peace and cookies be with you, earthling.

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Book Title Is Ironic

I'm bothered by the fact that I have a midterm tomorrow in History 1, more so by the fact that I have yet to touch my notes. Oh well. I figure I still have some time to spare to post this review, which I have been itching to write.

Here's what kept me busy this weekend (note: with reading, re-reading, ogling):

Hush, hush by Becca Fitzpatrick.

It's no contemporary classic; in fact, I found the book to be very YA. The first eighteen chapters or so, I wasn't crazy about (okay, except for those few steamy moments), because it was pure storytelling and nothing deeper.

Blame National Bookstore, but I was comparing it a lot to Twilight (which is so teenybopper of me, I know). And surprisingly, I thought Twilight was written better.

I think the female lead character has a lot to do with this, because for most of the story, she's just reacting to the things going on around her. Nora Grey is, for lack of a better term, just a normal girl--other than her genes, she has no striking feature, no distinct quirks. Which is good, in one way or another, because it proves the whole sentiment of the extraordinary happening to the ordinary. (Maybe there's hope for us? And by hope, I mean falling for a fallen angel in real life who is hotter than the Bhut Jolioka pepper.)

My favorite part of the story (besides Patch; I'll get to that a little later) is the plot. First of all, I have always been a fan of fallen angels, since the days of City of Angels (I think I cried the first time I saw that film). So anything with fallen angels, I will probably want to devour.

I also thought the interconnected links among Patch, Nora and Chauncey were clever. It was what made the latter pages of the book hard-to-put-down. And even though some of the details remain unclear to me (probably shouldn't have rushed reading), I am impressed with the storyline.

The book also contained a hefty amount of explicit, err, scenes, but nothing too R-18. I guess you could say this will definitely trigger a lot of girls to swoon (and okay, I'm not denying not being an exception to this; it's kind of hard what with the romantic blah I am a sucker for).

But now for the dee-licious part. Pattttttcch.

Let me put it this way: Patch Cipriano (I hate that last name for him, sorry) puts the "bad boy" of today to shame. He is tough, dangerous, blunt, and--(I love this)--real. He is far from perfect, and that makes him incredibly irresistible, not to mention believable. He has literally fallen from grace and is actually comfortable with his dark side. He's an anti-hero: flawed, brooding and troubled. Refreshing. Thrilling, actually.

All in all, if this had to be rated, I'd give it three-and-a-half stars and about a half-hour of suppressed squeals and (ahh, the term I miss) hyperventilating. Reasonable, if you ask me. But for further justification, read the story yourselves.

So I may have just found something new to obsess over, but not quite love--major difference, (THANK YOU, Yssa, by the way). Will be waiting for Crescendo, the sequel; until which, I have some re-reading to do. Peace out!

[/EDIT] I just found this on YouTube/author's website. I found it funny. Comments say it's Drew Doyon, a.k.a model from the book cover. Ahh, Patch in Real Life.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.